FITNESS | BANISH THE EXCUSES

10:28

(IMAGE SOURCE: FACEBOOK) 

We have all done it.

"Its raining" "It's early" "I am tired" "I am swamped". I know you are nodding.

This whole 'I-want-to -make-a-change-but-won't-stop-making-excuses-yet-will-continue-complaining' drama did so much damage to my mental health that it just had to stop! So my no-whining policy for 2015 made way for a no-excuses policy.

Address and solve is my solution.

Here are a few of my classic ones and how I changed them...

1) TIME

(Image from someecards.com)

Not a morning person? Very few are. But, come on, there are twenty-four hours in a day! 24. It isn't impossible to do a little investigation to test what time motivates you the most to get off your ass. The time of exercise should not only depend on convenience but also factor that you are aware of why you want to start exercising and feel motivated rather than drudge it along like some chore. After years of not doing zilch and then making excuses every morning, I finally got off my ass a bit and started squeezing in a workout at some point in the day. Thanks to the erratic persistence, I discovered that working out around 3/4PM is actually the best time for me. Morning gets me groggy and evenings make me too hyper to get sleep. I am lucky to have an office gym which is accessible at any time but is usually packed in the mornings and evenings. That's how I started working out at 3.30 and it worked out great for me. I don't feel lethargic, feel sharper after I am done, it gives me a good break from the work stress so far and I get brilliant sleep!


2) PAIN
(Image from www.fuelrunning.com)

This can not to be ignored at all. Knee and lower back pain has been a huge issue for years. I happened to mention it to my yoga teacher once and she asked me to modify some of the asanas that exert the back and taught me a new asana that really helped. If you suffer from lower back pain the Cat/Cow pose is really helpful:

(Image from www.scientifit.com)

For any knee related issues, first check your footwear and then please consult an Orthopedist pronto! My diagnosis was pretty simple: over-exertion. Meaning treadmill, yoga, jazz classes all done simultaneously and then stopped altogether took its obvious toll. Plus, in my case, lack of nutrition meant no repair to the damages incurred.

So, (b) Avoid over exertion as mentioned here. My doctor gave me the following exercises that help strengthen weak knees:

ADD PICTURE

A colleague suggested wearing a knee cap through office hours and that helps too. If the pain gets too much I use Voveran Emulgel. Its really really good. It doesnt have the horrible stench of OTC pain balms and acts really really fast.

(Image from: www.rx4freaks.com/)

I have come to realise that there maybe some merit in investigating these excuses. They maybe our mind's way of announcing discomforts we fail to notice. So be kind to yourself. Identify and solve the problem. Make one change at a time. And it will all get better. Eventually.

Love
S


You Might Also Like

4 comments

Hi! Thank you so much for stopping by. I can't wait to hear your mind. Shine bright. XX.